Sunday, June 19, 2005

I wanted to write about something. A sound. Children usually hear it. I used to too. But I don’t anymore. Not unless I listen very carefully. It’s like a high piercing sound and crickets at the same time. If I had to draw it, I would draw a straight line with a zigzag line running over it. Two distinct sounds, yet one. I think sometimes that it’s blood rushing and I can hear it. A child asked me what that sound was the other day, the same way I used to ask my father what it was. I knew what he was talking about, but I didn’t know what to tell him. He was suddenly holding my hand. I knew he was afraid. He said that you could hear it in the kitchen. So I went to the kitchen to listen. He was right. I said come, come listen with me. He refused. I told him not to listen to the sound anymore. To listen to other things. It has the capacity to make you go mad.

2 comments:

Gary said...

Damn, I had no idea you had the capacity to spook. This little tract is a masterpiece. The sense of sterile objectivity that you infuse into it in the first half really complements the subtle horror you bring in in the second. And, a child's innocent observations and trepidation of the unknown, that which scares us the most, can be quite horrifying for an adult.
I've seen grown hulks jump at the subtlest of innuendos.
The lack of pretentiousness with which you've written this piece is what grabs right into the cellar of one's psyche. The mention of blood, too, is rather disconcerting in itself. You didn't mean to spook and yet you did. King would kill for that.
Nice.

Citrus said...

you see things differently hoover, thank you for that