Sunday, June 19, 2005

The Evil Eye

I don’t know very much about this, but this much I have gathered. Some people by saying something good have a capacity to harm. That is the general belief.
I’ll tell you a story.
Edthine Bai [i.e. Our grandmother. That’s what she was called] had a beautiful boblae [that brings horribly funny images to my mind] plant. No I think it was a kvualo plant. She had directed it upward to the covering over the front courtyard for support. And so it grew and gave lovely big kvualo fruit. So many of them. They grew together and big.
Along came a man one day. He had to pass through their land to get to his. And he was know so much for his black tongue that parents [at least in my superstitious family] would shove their pretty little children out of his sight, for fear that he would say something nice about them.
To get on with my story. This man saw her fruit and said to her, ‘Edthine Bai, what lovely fruit’, and he went on his way.
Not two maybe three minutes after he passed that way. It happened.
The fruit began to fall *phat * *phat * one after the other, to the ground and smash. There was nothing that anyone could do.


There is another story that I had to laugh at.
His tomato plant died because the neighbour lady put evil eye on it.


The last one.
Her daughter lost weight because I said the other day that I thought she looked taller. *shrug * No evil intent there.

No comments: