Saturday, March 07, 2009

Rise

What would I do?
What would I do if I was attacked?
'Be careful ok?' a friend, a boy, tells me concernedly. 'If somebody provokes you, don't fight back. Just try to get to safety'
Three girls(that I know of) were attacked. One of them a girl from the neighbourhood.
She could have been anyone.
She could have been me.
'Cover yourself when you walk on the road ok?' A concerned colleague advises me. I try to explain that in winter I'm covered from head to toe, yes, socks and woolen hats, not a bit of myself exposed. But in summer, It doesn't strike me as unreasonable to wear a sleeveless T-shirt to counter the heat.
This clearly isn't the point.
Again I think, what would I do?
I replay the situation (being attacked)in my head a thousand different ways. Always using a rational approach. Only to conclude that it's fanatics that I'm dealing with. Not people you can reason with.
I try to understand what their agenda is. It most certainly isn't maintaining the purity of our race, our culture. I'm aware of far worse behaviour that shouldn't be allowed in any culture. The most obvious, attacking women.
The police from the sound of it seem to be on the side of chaos. Dismissing the claims of these women almost unconcernedly.
I have no conclusive response to my question. All I know is that these women who were attacked represent every woman I know.
A support group involving the Alternative Law Forum and the Blank Noise Project has been formed.
I can only assume that there is strength in numbers.

http://baware.in/

1 comment:

jyothy karat said...

check out the theme for this year's women's day as declared by UN. http://google-n-i-share-a-birthday.blogspot.com/2009/03/happy-womens-day.html