Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ya Vas Lyubil

Ya vas lyubil: lyubov' eshe, byt' mozhet,
V dushe moei ugasla ne sovsem;
No pust' ona vas bol'she ne trevozhit;
Ya ne hochu pechalit' vas nichem.
Ya vas lyubil bezmolvno, beznadezhno,
To robost'yu, to revnost'yu tomim;
Ya vas lyubil tak iskrenno, tak nezhno,
Kak dai vam bog lyubimoi byt' drugim.

I loved you; even now I may confess,
Some embers of my love their fire retain;
But do not let it cause you more distress,
I do not want to sadden you again.
Hopeless and tonguetied, yet I loved you dearly
With pangs the jealous and the timid know;
So tenderly I loved you, so sincerely,
I pray God grant another love you so.

Alexander Pushkin (1829)

5 comments:

vimal said...

Superingers!

Are you referring to somebody?

Citrus said...

Maybe somebody was referring to me.

vimal said...

shucks :-)

Anonymous said...

this is the translation I like...maybe you'll like it better??

"I've loved you so, and may just love you still;
For in my soul love isn't yet extinguished.
But let this give you not one moment's spill:
I'd never want to cause you grief or anguish.

I've loved you hopelessly, and yet so dearly,
To shyness and to jealousy condemned.
So tenderly I've loved you, so sincerely,
God grant you may be so well loved again."

Ryan said...

:P here's the translation I like - I'm singing it in a choir, beautiful song.

"I loved you once - my heart may still be burning,
Remains a smoldering fire in my soul,
But let it not dismay you any longer -
I have no wish to cause you any pain.

I loved you once in silence and despair,
At times too jealous, and at times to shy...
I loved you once so honestly, so tender,
God bless you may be loved that way again."

The great thing about the song is you can translate it different ways so that each version is still beautiful in the same way, but still amazing. We're an all men's choir, and we sing a great rendition. Thanks for the pronunciation by the way - I needed it :P