Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Nirbhara Sundhari

Mothers can't bear to see their daughters 'unadorned'. Their ears and necks and wrists must shine. Now I know women/babies are magpies and like shiny things, but gold is a little too much.
Anyway my mother being no different gave me her gold to wear for Kamal and Tunak's wedding and I lost it.All of it. Yes. Just like that.
So.
I figured it's gold, replaceable,etc. She seemed to think otherwise. She stopped talking to me and trying to get me to eat [they also can't bear to see their daughters skinny, it seems], until the next day when she forgot that she wasn't talking to me and wanted to know if I had eaten and all. Then she suddenly remembered again, that she wasn't talking to me but it was too late.
So.
My Mum is Super.
I wonder if the fact that everytime she started to say something about lost gold and irresponsibility, I would hold my head in my hands and start wailing, 'Twenty years! Next twenty years I'm going to hear about it', had anything to do with it.

No comments: